Remembering Selena: 20 Facts You Might Not Have Known About The Late Selena Quintanilla-Perez
11 photos Launch gallery
1. Selena was only 17-years-old when she signed her first contract with Coca-Cola for $75,000.
1 of 11
2. Selena made her own stage costumes by gluing Swarovski crystals on her bras.
2 of 11
3. Selena was the first Latin artist to debut on the Billboard charts at number one.
3 of 11
4. Selena’s first car, a BMW, was stolen and dumped into the ocean. She later replaced it with a red Porsche.
4 of 11
5. After her death, there was a big spike in the number of girls being named Selena.
5 of 11
6. Selena dropped out of high school and earned her GED so she could perform full time. This was how her family made a living.
6 of 11
7. Tejano music became directionless after Selena’s death.
7 of 11
8. Selena and band member Chris Perez kept their relationship a secret until they eloped in 1992.
8 of 11
9. Selena made a cameo on the popular Spanish TV novela “Dos Mujeres, Un Camino” in 1993.
9 of 11
10. Selena owned a motorcycle.
10 of 11
11. After her death, an estimated 100,000 people showed up to Selena’s public viewing at the convention center in Corpus Christi.
11 of 11