Pope Francis visits Washington D.C., New York and Philadelphia.
After a red carpet welcome by President Barack Obama at an air base near the capital, the 78-year-old Argentine headed off to Washington not in a limousine as is customary but in a modest Fiat.
School children cheered the pontiff as his Alitalia plane landed, chanting “We love Francis, yes we do. We love Francis, how about you?” Adults cheered, ‘Hey Hey ! Ho Ho! Welcome To The USA!’ The first day was filled with joy
His visit to New York was one of deep spiritual value as he prayed at Ground Zero, installed a saint and said mass at one of New York’s biggest arena’s Madison Square Garden.
In Philadelphia he embraced freedom of religion and the love of families. He spoke from Independence Hall and the Festival of Families and reminded everyone that society is dependent on families.
1. Pope Francis Arrives And Greets President Obama and the First FamilySource:Getty Images
This is Pope Francis’s first visit to America. He came as a pastor to his flock.
2. Pope Francis Greets Well Wishers At AirportSource:Getty Image
Pope Francis arrived to visit the families of America.
3. Pope Francis Greets Vice President Biden and FamilySource:Getty Images
The Bidens are devout Catholics who attend mass.
4. Pope Francis and President Obama Share LaughsSource:Getty Images
Pope Francis has a laugh with the President. Pope Francis known for his humor.
5. Pope Francis Walks With President Obama To MeetingSource:Getty Images
Pope Francis and President Obama agree that service to one another is very important to our society.
6. President Obama and Pope Francis Chat and Take PhotoSource:Getty Images
The President had a 30 minute meeting with him
7. Pope Francis Addresses U.S. RepresentativesSource:Getty Images
Pope Francis advised Congress to really truly get to work for the people of America. He pleaded with them to remember the poor.
8. Pope Francis Stands on Balcony At Capitol HillSource:Getty Images
Pope Francis Citing Martin Luther King’s “dream of full rights for all their brothers and sisters,” he urged Americans in the 50 minute speech to remember the civil rights icon’s legacy of “liberty in plurality and non-exclusion.
9. Pope Francis Spoke To United NationsSource:Getty Images
Pope Francis said: A selfish and boundless thirst for power and material prosperity leads both to the misuse of available natural resources and to the exclusion of the weak and disadvantaged.
10. Pope Francis Prays At Ground ZeroSource:Getty Images
“In this place of pain and remembrance I am full of hope.’
11. Pope Francis Participates In Intefaith ServiceSource:Getty Images
I can join with leaders representing the many religious traditions which enrich the life of this great city.I trust that our presence together will be a powerful sign of our shared desire to be a force for reconciliation, peace and justice in this community and throughout the world.”
12. Pope Francis at St. Patrick’s CathedralSource:Getty
‘I thank god for your faithful service onto his people, doing so in helping you to preserve on the path of fidelity to Jesus Christ. ‘
13. Pope Francis At Independence HallSource:Getty Images
Those ringing words continue to inspire us today, even as they have inspired peoples throughout the world to fight for the freedom to live in accordance with their dignity
14. Pope Francis Blesses Baby From Pope MobileSource:Getty Images
Our religious traditions remind us that, as human beings, we are called to acknowledge an Other,
15. Mark Walberg Hosts Evening With FamiliesSource:Getty Images
Mark Walberg was the humble host for the concert for familie
16. Pope Francis Is Entertained By Aretha FranklinSource:Getty Images
Aretha Franklin delivered a heart stirring song to Philadelphia!
17. Pope Francis Talks With Prisoners In PhiladelphiaSource:Getty Images
Francis, who has pushed for prison reform, visited Philadelphia’s Curran-Fromhold Correctional Facility, where he told a group of inmates that their time in prison “can only have one purpose” — to get back on the right road and rejoin socie
18. Pope Francis Talks To Bishops CandidlySource:Getty Images
Francis met privately Sunday in Philadelphia with victims of clergy and other sex abuse and pledged that all those responsible for the scandal would be held accountable. He says, ‘God weeps.’
19. Pope Francis Delivers Gift From Cuba To AmericaSource:Getty Images
He told the Bishops that they must settle where the gift must go. He was ‘staying out of it.’
20. Pope Francis With Philadelphia’s SeminariansSource:Getty
Pope Francis stood for a photo with the seminarians
21. Pope Francis Final MassSource:Getty Images
My days with you have been brief,but they have been days of great grace for me and, I pray, for you too. Please know that as I prepare to leave, I do so with a heart full of gratitude and hope.”