Just in time for Valentine’s Day, there is a wealth of new relationship books on the market written by some popular celebrities. The latest is R&B crooner Keith Sweat, who has probably helped out many a relationship through his sultry love songs as well as on his nationally syndicated radio show “The Sweat Hotel.” His new book, “Make It Last Forever: The Dos and Don’ts,” named after one of his most popular songs, is out now. Surprisingly, as Sweat himself remains single after a failed marriage to former “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star Lisa Wu, his book offers some interesting insights to men and women struggling to start or stay in a relationship. We caught up to him in L.A., where he’s currently touring with Charlie Wilson.
With 31 concise chapters and summaries at the end of several that are dubbed ‘Keith’s Key,’ MAKE IT LAST FOREVER examines topics such as:
- Why sometimes we are simply not ready to be in a relationship;
- Why opposites attract only for short while;
- Why maintaining romance and fighting complacency in a relationship is key;
- Why little things, such as writing a love letter, are important and add peace and trust;
- Avoiding the pitfalls of the sexual rut;
- The importance of talking to each other with respect even when you disagree;
- Putting yourself in your partner’s shoes when he or she is upset;
- Why fidelity must be a priority;
- Why what you do before marriage is as important as what you do in a marriage;
- How to let a relationship progress naturally and organically;
- Why it is important to make choices that are right-not those that look or sound good;
- Why forming an unbreakable bond with your mate is important;
- Why trust is a necessity in a healthy relationship;
- Why online dating is not the cure-all for relationship troubles;
- Why recognizing who you are will allow you to better understand your true motives for wanting someone you can’t have or shouldn’t want.
Through Keith Sweat’s dissection of the obstacles that must be addressed and overcome to solidify existing relationships and to help establish a healthy foundation for a new relationship, MAKE IT LAST FOREVER serves as an instruction manual for adding sizzle, building trust and improving dialogue in relationships.