Hollywood studios have joined in a rare show of unity to give their weekend box-office reporting a rest after the deadly shooting in Colorado at a screening of “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Read: Should Children Be Allowed Into PG-13 & R Rated Movies?

Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal and Lionsgate said Saturday that they are joining “Dark Knight Rises” distributor Warner Bros. in withholding their box-office numbers for the weekend.

Warner Bros. announced Friday that it would forgo the usual revenue reports until Monday out of respect for the victims and their families in the shooting that killed 12 and wounded 58 at the midnight show earlier in the day.

Read: Newly Married Meagan Good Advises Women: “Don’t Settle. He Is Out There!”

Sony, Disney, Universal and Lionsgate said they would not be reporting numbers until Monday, while Chris Aronson, head of distribution for Fox, said the studio plans to still announce box-office receipts Sunday. Paramount didn’t immediately say whether they were joining as well. Box-office tracking service Rentrak said it would not report figures this weekend.

Sunday box-office estimates are a weekly routine for Hollywood, with studios jostling for bragging rights as the No. 1 movie and always aiming to break revenue records.

Like Elev8 On Facebook To Enrich Your Mind, Body & Soul!

comments – Add Yours