In the high-profile case, the prosecution is trying to convince the jury that it was Murray’s “gross negligence” in treating Jackson with numerous drugs that killed the superstar.Understanding the language and the particulars can be hard.
Here is what is at the heart of the case:
- Murray treated Jackson’s insomnia with sedatives, and on the night of June 25, 2009, high levels of numerous medications caused the singer’s death.
- Listening to the case is Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor. Monday, he denied the prosecution entering Jackson’s final press conference as evidence of Murray’s treatment of the patient.
- Judge Pastor ruled against the prosecution entering evidence that police unsuccessfully tried to follow up Murray after Jackson’s death.
- Murray’s defense attorney Ed Chernoff claims that his client was trying to wean Jackson off of propofol, the sedative of choice for the singer, and that Jackson gave himself an extra dose after Murray left the room.
- Serving as prosecutor is Deputy District Attorney David Walgren, who told members of the jury he would describe Jackson’s final hours in great detail.
- After showing an image of Jackson’s corpse, Walgren said, “What you will learn through this evidence is that what happened during that time frame is that the acts and omissions of Michael Jackson’s personal doctor, Conrad Murray, directly led to his premature death at the age of 50.”
- Murray was contacted to treat one of Jackson’s children for an unknown medical situation in 2006. The two became friends, and the singer offered Murray a full time position to be his personal physician while on tour in 2009, for a reported $150,000 per month.
- The arrangement was speculated to be the result of Jackson’s dependence on drugs and inability to sleep. Following Jackson’s death, police investigators found over 20 different prescriptions inside his rented Holmby Hills home, including methadone, fentanyl, Percocet, dalaudid, and vicodin.
The drama peaked when Michael’s barely audible, slurring voice echoed around the courtroom. It was only then that you began to understand the seriousness.
This was just day 1. We will have to see what day 2 brings.
LaToya Jackson tweeted Tuesday morning, “”There are wives, girlfriends and employees who know exactly what happened to Michael, please come forward and tell what really happened,” In her book she makes pointed observations. You can read them here: 10 Revelations Revealed In LaToya Jackson’s Book “Starting Over”About Michael Jackson