Can you rel8 to this?
I am a fan of Bikram Yoga. Have you ever tried it? It’s 26 yoga poses performed twice in a room of 95-105 degree temperature. It sounds ludicrous but it is incredibly invigorating. Every sense of your mind, body and soul is stimulated. It is the best form of detoxification and ultimate relax. I made a decision at the top of the year that I would pay to indulge in Bikram Yoga at least once or twice a month AND get a full body massage. Both are extremely therapeutic.
If you’re new to the class, the instructors stresses, “Whatever you do, stay in the room.” Yes the heat is probably most nauseating your first time around BUT the heat has many benefits, including but not limited to:
- Your body burns fat more effectively, fat may be redistributed and burned as energy during the class. It is common to lose centimetres of shape in a very short time
- The heat produces a fluid-like stretch allowing for greater range of movement in joints, muscles, ligaments and other supporting structures of the body
- Capillaries dilate in the heat; more effectively oxygenating the tissues, muscles, glands and organs and helping in the removal of waste products
- Your peripheral circulation improves due to enhanced perfusion of your extremities
- Your metabolism speeds up the breakdown of glucose and fatty acids
- You benefit from a strengthening of willpower, self control, concentration and determination in this challenging environment
- Your cardiovascular system gets a thorough workout
- Your muscles and connective tissue become more elastic and allow for greater flexibility with less chance of injury and improved resolution of injury
- Sweating promotes detoxification and elimination through the skin – which is the body’s largest eliminating organ
- Just as when your body raises its temperature to fight infection, the raised temperature in the room will assist in improving T-cell function and the proper functioning of your immune system
- Your nervous system function is greatly improved and messages are carried more efficiently to and from your brain
- Metabolism improves in your digestive system and in the body’s cells (that is food in the gut and nutrients in the cells)
You might be looking at me with a side eye, but I promise…don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. My only warning is to my sisters of African American decent – er uh…make sure your hair is either tied down, pulled back and not freshly done. You WILL leave the class with, as Martin Lawrence says, “Beedeebee’s.” LOL!