Could Oprah want to add “president” to her already impressive resume?
The mogul is “actively thinking” about running for president in 2020, two sources close to her, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said to CNN. Their comments come on the heels of Oprah’s epic speech at the 2018 Golden Globes on Sunday night.
A Black women president is a dream for many Americans, particularly those who believe in the power of #BlackGirlMagic and #BlackExcellence. Oprah epitomizes that power, having drawn on it for her epic and highly praised Globes speech. The mogul, the first Black woman to receive the Cecil B. DeMille award, dazzled with her delivery. It was her conviction and the content of her speech against sexual misconduct, however, that really commanded respect and commandeered the audience.
“I want all the girls watching to know a new day is on the horizon. And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women, many of whom are right here in this room tonight, and some pretty phenomenal men, fighting hard to make sure they are the leaders to take us to the time where nobody has to say ‘me too’ again,” Oprah said.
Her speech was so powerful that it elicited responses from across the Twitterverse with #Oprah2020 calls for her to make a presidential run (whether Kanye runs or not).
The mogul just may answer the call, with the support of dozens in the entertainment industry. When asked if she would consider a bid for the commander-in-chief, she recently said “Okaay!” to the Los Angeles Times.
Of her many roles, her position as a special correspondent for 60 Minutes would only present a conflict with a future presidential run. She just sold part of her stake in her OWN network, but will remain on as CEO through 2025.
The idea of Oprah becoming president seems very possible, however, one person can’t get on board with it. Donald Trump Jr. expectedly slammed NBC for praising Oprah as a “future president’ in a tweet, TMZ reported.
“In case anyone had any doubts about where the media stands this should take care of it. The bias against @realDonaldTrump is now so obvious they have simply given up hiding it. Can you trust anything they say at this point? Americans see the truth in job #s & in their wallets!,” Trump’s eldest son said in a rant.
His hate can’t stop Oprah from getting major props. The internet has spoken!
In Memoriam: Celebrities We Lost In 2017
1. Erica Garner, 27Source:Getty 1 of 24
2. LeRoy Frasier, 80Source:Getty 2 of 24
3. Don Hogan Charles, 79Source:Getty 3 of 24
4. Combat Jack, 48Source:Getty 4 of 24
5. Mamie Johnson, 82Source:Getty 5 of 24
6. Della Reese, 86Source:Splash News 6 of 24
7. Simeon Booker, 99Source:Getty 7 of 24
8. David Cassidy, 67Source:Getty 8 of 24
9. Fats Domino, 89Source:Getty 9 of 24
10. Robert Guillaume, 89Source:Getty 10 of 24
11. Tom Petty, 66Source:Getty 11 of 24
12. Bernie Casey, 78Source:Getty 12 of 24
13. Jim Vance, 75Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. Fresh Kid Ice, 53Source:Getty 14 of 24
15. Charlie Murphy, 57Source:Getty 15 of 24
16. Chuck Berry, 90Source:Getty 16 of 24
17. James Cotton, 81Source:Getty 17 of 24
18. Joni Sledge, 60Source:Getty 18 of 24
19. Clyde Stubblefield, 73Source:Getty 19 of 24
20. Al Jarreau, 76Source:Getty 20 of 24
21. Mary Tyler Moore, 80Source:Getty 21 of 24
22. Lee "Q" O'Denat, 43Source:Getty 22 of 24
23. Bishop Eddie Long, 63Source:Getty 23 of 24
24. Roy Innis, 82Source:Getty 24 of 24