Britain’s blood and transplant bank was defending itself against claims of racism over its campaign seeking Black blood donors. NHS Blood and Transplant emphasized that “everyone’s blood is not the same” in a series of tweets it fired off on Tuesday that have since gone viral.
The blood bank launched a campaign to get 40,000 more donors to meet the demand for Ro blood, which is most common among Blacks, the Guardian reported in June. That rare blood type is needed to treat sickle cell anemia, a condition predominantly found in people of African descent.
Black people are about 10 times more likely to have Ro blood type than White people.
Sickle cell anemia is a blood disorder that causes red blood cells to become misshapen and consequently making it difficult for the cells to transport oxygen through the body, according to the American Red Cross.
The Red Cross said the condition affects more than 70,000 Americans, and many of them need blood transfusions weekly. Blood from compatible donors of the same ethnic background decreases the chances of rejection.
Here are some facts about sickle cell anemia:
—The affliction doesn’t only affect African-Americans, according to the Aaron Ardoin Foundation for Sickle Research & Education. It also affects people of native South and Central American descent, as well as those of Mediterranean origins.
—People don’t “catch” sickle cell anemia. It’s a genetic condition inherited from parents, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
—People with sickle cell anemia can live a normal, productive life, despite the need for frequent blood transfusions, as treatments are improving.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Appeal For Black People To Donate Blood Gets Tainted By Claims Of Racism was originally published on newsone.com