A district court judge in Baton Rouge denied on Wednesday a Louisiana state senator’s petition for a temporary restraining order, which would have slowed down Senate efforts to remove him from office over domestic violence incidents, CBS News reports.
Sen. Troy Brown, a Democrat, pleaded no contest in January to misdemeanor domestic abuse battery for biting his wife’s arm. And in September, he also pleaded no contest to misdemeanor simple battery for punching a girlfriend, according to CBS.
Brown, who served jail time in January, told the court that the Senate committee holding hearings on his expulsion has not granted him enough time to organize a proper defense.
CBS said the Committee on Discipline and Expulsion held its first hearing Wednesday. The senators declined nearly all of his lawyer’s request for documents.
The range of documents that Jill Craft, Brown’s attorney, requested included emails and text messages from senators who discussed Brown’s case, as well as the criminal records of current and prior senators over the past decade.
Craft said even though his alleged conduct was “horrible,” Brown is entitled to due process. She also underscored that the senator was charged with misdemeanors–not felonies.
The judge who denied Brown’s temporary restraining order scheduled a Feb. 23 court hearing on the senator’s request for a permanent injunction against the Senate expulsion hearing.
SOURCE: CBS News
Longtime Pennsylvania Rep. Chaka Fattah Resigns From Congress
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Louisiana Lawmaker Fights Senate Expulsion Over Domestic Violence Incidents was originally published on newsone.com