Saturday marks her 107th birthday.
In the weeks following the viral video, the matriarch has received praise and love for her enthusiasm and vitality. For McLaurin, positivity and service to her community is what keeps her cheerful enthusiasm in full supply.
McLaurin’s visit to the White House came about thanks to the United Planning Organization’s Foster Grandparent Program’s online campaigning, an organization she has been a part of for over 20 years. At the program, the elderly are given a chance to spread their kindness and knowledge to low-income elementary public and charter school students in the Washington D.C. area. McLaurin’s class is composed of special needs and disabled children who call her “Grandma Virginia.”
McLaurin’s previous jobs included a housekeeper, nanny, and seamstress. Born in 1909, the South Carolina native later moved to North Carolina during segregation. When she wasn’t caring for her two children, she helped her parents on the cotton and peanut fields. She later adopted a third child, opening up her heart and family.
But on Friday, McLaurin was able to relax as she received gifts for her birthday. Cheryl Christmas, director of the Foster Grandparent program, helped put together a “Let’s Dance” surprise birthday celebration for the special lady, who turns 107 Mar. 12. The luncheon welcomed 300 guests and was hosted by WHUR-FM’s Tony Richards, Mo Ivory, and George Willborn.
Howard University Radio and Bob’s Discount Furniture gifted McLaurin with a $5,000 home makeover. She was also given a special gift from President Obama himself–a Presidential Medal of Honor for her community service.
Speaking with NewsOne, McLaurin shared the key to happiness, her favorite dancing jams, and her special moments with the First Family.
Check out the interview below.
NO: What does it mean for you to mentor the children in your community?
“Oh, it means a lot to me. I love children. That’s what keeps me young.”
Name three things needed to maintain a positive life.
“Treat people like you want to be treated, love everybody, and serve the Lord.”
What’s a song you’d like to dance to on your big day?
“James Brown’s “On the Good Foot,” “Mashed Potatoes” and [everything] BB King!”
What was your favorite thing about meeting Barack Obama and Michelle Obama?
“That I danced with him and how happy it made me to live long enough to get into the White House. It brought joy to my heart and soul.”
What’s the secret to living a long life? What are five things you can’t live without?
“Serve the Lord, live humble, treat people the way I want to treated, fill your life with love everyday loving people…especially children. The Lord gave me a long life and I appreciate He let me live this long.”
Happy birthday, Grandma McLaurin!
PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter, Corporation for National and Community Service
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
Dancing Grandma Virginia McLaurin Shares The Key To A Long Life On Her 107th Birthday was originally published on newsone.com