Pope Francis was here last week. You would have had to be under a rock to not know that. He delighted tens of thousands of people crowded onto a thoroughfares in three major cities. He joyfully went off script delivering a folksy, funny commentary. All these things are similar to what TD Jakes, Joel Osteen and Rick Warren do in their mega-churches.
The mega-pastors chimed their support of the 78-year-old pontiff. Unfortunately, their followers were none too happy.
The crowing began with people saw the posted picture of Rick Warren and Bishop TD Jakes attending the welcoming dinner.
Bishop TD Jakes posted:
A special thanks to President Obama for his VIP invitation to attend such a historical event. As the world watches this international figure move through our country, let’s pray that the Pope’s journey is safe! At a time when so little is said positive about faith in our country, let’s pray for his safe passage regardless of our differences of views about faith. It is our LOVE that’s on trial here and our understanding of the question; Who is my neighbor? By the way, my wife First Lady Serita Jakes and I, tried to represent our faith, church and country with dignity and respect!
His followers were not amused as they wrote:
Angela Mitchell Why is this a blessing the pope nor obama stands in agreement with God
Lane Emerson Huey We need to be lifting Bishop Jakes in prayer IF we feel he’s being deceived. This very much concerns me as it does many of you however we are to pray rather than bash. Just saying…
Ally Renee Bonneau Repent T.D. Jakes you will be under God’s Judgement and wrath for what you are doing! You are deceiving God’s children! You are truly lost in deed. Don’t do this to God’s children! You are truly and evil man and know not God.
Rick Warren’s followers were a little more forgiving, chiming in that Rick should introduce the Pope to Jesus. Rick gave a talk at the Meeting of The Families event this weekend. The Meeting if the Families was actually the reason the pope came. Pastor Rick Warren gave the final keynote address of the World Meeting of Families conference, sharing the stage with Cardinal Sean O’Malley of Boston, in Philadelphia.
One person was so insulted by Warren’s actions over the weekend the individual wrote:
I like the Pope. I like that he’s making the Catholic Church more open to bring people in and not exclude them. He’s a man of the people. I like what he stands for — humility, reaching out to others and he’s not so formal that people can’t relate to him.
His followers really vented! One follower responded, ‘I seriously call upon you to repent of your sin and seek forgiveness from our God for your heresy to the Christian Faith.’
- Pope Francis On Sex Abuse: ‘God Weeps’ [VIDEO]
- Queen Of Soul, Aretha Franklin, Sings for Pope Francis [VIDEO]
- Pope Francis Confronts The Death Penalty, Criminal Justice
Pope Francis Visits America
1. Pope Francis Arrives And Greets President Obama and the First FamilySource:Getty Images 1 of 22
2. Pope Francis Greets Well Wishers At AirportSource:Getty Image 2 of 22
3. Pope Francis Greets Vice President Biden and FamilySource:Getty Images 3 of 22
4. Pope Francis and President Obama Share LaughsSource:Getty Images 4 of 22
5. Pope Francis Walks With President Obama To MeetingSource:Getty Images 5 of 22
6. Pope Francis Meets Sunny and BoSource:White House 6 of 22
7. President Obama and Pope Francis Chat and Take PhotoSource:Getty Images 7 of 22
8. Pope Francis Addresses U.S. RepresentativesSource:Getty Images 8 of 22
9. Pope Francis Stands on Balcony At Capitol HillSource:Getty Images 9 of 22
10. Pope Francis Spoke To United NationsSource:Getty Images 10 of 22
11. Pope Francis Prays At Ground ZeroSource:Getty Images 11 of 22
12. Pope Francis Participates In Intefaith ServiceSource:Getty Images 12 of 22
13. Pope Francis at St. Patrick's CathedralSource:Getty 13 of 22
14. Pope Francis At Independence HallSource:Getty Images 14 of 22
15. Pope Francis Blesses Baby From Pope MobileSource:Getty Images 15 of 22
16. Mark Walberg Hosts Evening With FamiliesSource:Getty Images 16 of 22
17. Pope Francis Is Entertained By Aretha FranklinSource:Getty Images 17 of 22
18. Pope Francis Talks With Prisoners In PhiladelphiaSource:Getty Images 18 of 22
19. Pope Francis Talks To Bishops CandidlySource:Getty Images 19 of 22
20. Pope Francis Delivers Gift From Cuba To AmericaSource:Getty Images 20 of 22
21. Pope Francis With Philadelphia's SeminariansSource:Getty 21 of 22
22. Pope Francis Final MassSource:Getty Images 22 of 22
Make sure that you are part of our Facebook Family by liking and sharing our stories!