Rapper and actor Nelly talked to the Tom Joyner Morning Show about his new docu-series, Nellyville, which premieres tomorrow night, November 25th at 10:30 p.m. on BET.
“Today, being in this business I think you have to open up more than what you previously had to do like when I first came into it,” Nelly says. “But I think it’s all about how you do it and how you can make it relatable to you and still try to maintain some kind of privacy that is good enough for you. But what I thought wasn’t being shown enough was the single dad that’s in hip-hop that is taking care of his business like he’s supposed to be as far as taking care of his children and being in their lives, not just sending checks every month.”
Nellyville features both of Nelly’s children as well as his sister’s two children who he promised to take care of after she died of leukemia in 2005. The St. Louis native says that although he’s a single father, he doesn’t do it alone.
“Don’t get it twisted. I’m not without help. It’s not like Nelly has a magic wand. My two kids – their mother is very relevant in this situation. It takes a village but there’s only one chief,” he laughs.
Nelly says don’t expect the kind of fights and drama on Nellyville that are common on reality TV.
“I think it does have its intriguing parts and it makes for great television,” he says. “But again it is television so I understand what that end is all about. But its not my route.”
Nelly returns to the Fantastic Voyage this year…. and so do his parents.
“Y’all got some loyal riders from here on out,” Nelly says. “They had a ball and they said they wouldn’t miss it for the world. My momma already shopping. Y’all done cost me so money, dayum! My parents been divorced for a long time so that’s four people I gotta pay for now. Don’t be surprised if my camera’s on your boat.”
Click the link above to hear the entire interview.
Celebrating Hip Hop's Coolest Dads
1. The Game has three kids with his ex.1 of 14
2. Dr. Dre has six kids, Truly, Truth, Tyra, Marcel, Curtis and Andre Jr.2 of 14
3. LL Cool J has four kids with wife Simone.3 of 14
4. Diddy has six kids from previous relationships4 of 14
5. Chris Brown has one daughter named Royalty.5 of 14
6. Swizz Beats has five kids, three from previous relationships incuding ex-wife Mashonda. They are Nasir, Kaseem, Jr., Nicole and Egypt and Genesis with wife Alicia Keys6 of 14
7. 50 Cent has two sons, Marquise and Sire7 of 14
8. Jay-Z has one daughter, Blue Ivy, with wife Beyonce.8 of 14
9. Future has two sons and a daughter from three previous relationships and a son named after him, with ex-fiancee, Ciara..9 of 14
10. Kanye West has one daughter, North, with wife Kim Kardashian.10 of 14
11. Wiz Khalifa has one son, Sebastian Taylor Thomaz, with estranged wife, Amber Rose.11 of 14
12. Will Smith has three kids - Trey with ex-wife Sheree Zampino and Jaden and Willow with wife Jada Pinkett Smith.12 of 14
13. Common has a teenage daughter, Omoye Assata Lynn13 of 14
14. The Dream has four children: Navy Talia, London, Christian (with Nivea) and Violet Madison (with Christina Milian).14 of 14
Nelly Reveals Why He Chose To Film New BET Docu-Series, ‘Nellyville’ was originally published on blackamericaweb.com