Disney Channel star and singer Zendaya will not play Aaliyah in a Lifetime Television movie after all. A rep for the 17-year-old actress told E! News exclusively on Sunday, June 29, that “Zendaya is no longer involved in the project.” Lifetime, which had announced her casting in the biopic on June 16, has not commented.
The movie depicts Aaliyah’s life and career, from her debut on Star Search to her rise to fame and, finally, her tragic passing, which shocked the world. Scores of fans pay tribute to her online, especially on Twitter, on the anniversary of her death.
Zendaya has been nominated for BET Award YoungStar Award. She is a wonderfully talented young lady and did not deserve the unwarranted vitriol that was unleashed on her last week. We know she will land on her feet with a bigger better role! Last year we picked her as a family friendly favorite. We are still sticking by this!
Lifetime had said that the tentative title of the movie was Aaliyah: Princess of R&B and that the biopic will be based off of Christopher Farley’s best-selling biography Aaliyah: More Than a Woman. The project was set to begin filming in the summer and air this fall. We will see how they handle this.
Make sure to read:
- Sherri Shepherd Announces She Is Exiting ‘The View’
- Why Donnie Says He Loves ‘It Takes A Church’ Reality Show [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Prettie Girls: The Line of Black Dolls You Have To Check Out
- Bobby Womack’s ‘Across 110th Street’ Was First Hip Hop Awareness Call
- Married To Medicine’s Mariah Huq Gives Us The ‘Tea’ On Her Marriage And Life