“You see 48 minutes of what sometimes is two days, three days. And we put it on the air when the people are not cooperative, weren’t ready to do the work. That was the three sisters a few weeks ago. That was a show about not doing a show. (Laughs).”
One of the more surprising things that she has found is that men are just as apt to seek help and be willing to do the work as women are, even though it can be a challenge for men to seek help or to express themselves when they are experiencing certain emotions.
“I think its kind of balanced. Women have probably done more work and I can speak to women and approach women in a very different way. Men usually come in willing but this is very new territory for them, talking about their feelings and seeing somebody’s side and understanding the bigger picture. Men are like ‘What are you talking about?’ It’s really kind of equal but I usually walk very delicately with men because their ego structures are very different.”
Although the DMX episode last season may have been the exception, Vanzant says she doesn’t worry about men getting too out of line Her son acts in a security capacity, traveling with her and making sure no one takes Vanzant’s kindness for weakness.
Overall, Vanzant says she is grateful to her guests on Iyanla Fix My Life for their willingness to trust her and the process.
“The blessing that I have is that people trust me. People want the help. What happens is when fear sets in and they get afraid. But the reaction is not towards me. It’s usually just about what they’re feeling. My guests have been so respectful and so trusting. It’s really a blessing.”
REGISTER NOW for the 2014 Allstate Tom Joyner Family Reunion taking place August 28- September 1, 2014 in Orlando, Florida! For booking information visit here.
Celebrating First Time Celebrity Dads
1. Happy Father's Day to Cory Hardict, who has a son, Cree with his wife Tia Mowry-Hardict1 of 17
2. Happy Father's Day to Omarion whose girlfriend Apryl Jones is pregnant with their first child.2 of 17
3. Happy Father's Day to Brian J. White who has a daughter with his wife Paula.3 of 17
4. Happy Father's Day to Adam Housely who has a son, Aden with his wife Tamary Mowry-Housely.4 of 17
5. Happy Father's Day to Vincent Herbert who has a son, Logan with his wife Tamar Braxton.5 of 17
6. Happy Father's Day to Robin Thicke who has a son, Julian with his estranged wife, Paula Patton6 of 17
7. Happy Father's Day to Reggie Bush who has a daughter, Briseis, with his fiance Lilit7 of 17
8. Happy Father's Day to Kanye West who has a daughter, North, with wife Kim Kardashian-West8 of 17
9. Bring Your Family To Play With Ours!9 of 17
10. Happy Father's Day to Wiz Kalifah who has a son, Bash, with wife Amber Rose10 of 17
11. Happy Father's Day to Jay-Z who has a daughter, Blue Ivy, with wife Beyonce. (AP)11 of 17
12. Happy Father's Day to Nick Cannon who has twins Roc and Roe with wife Mariah. (AP)12 of 17
13. Happy Father's Day to Djimon Hounsou who has a son with Kimora Lee. (AP)13 of 17
14. Happy Father's Day to Bow Wow who became a father last year to daughter Shai. (AP)14 of 17
15. Happy Father's Day to Taye Diggs who has a son, Walker Nathaniel with wife Idina Menzel. (AP)15 of 17
16. Happy Father's Day to Javier Bardem who has a son, Leo Encinas with wife Penelope Cruz. (AP)16 of 17
17. Bring Your Familly To Play With Ours!17 of 17
Iyanla Vanzant Celebrates 25 Years Helping People Live Better Lives was originally published on blackamericaweb.com