What would you say if you had the opportunity to ask the First Lady anything? One 10-year-old girl smartly took her few seconds of face time in front of Michelle Obama to petition for a job for her unemployed dad.
The child, identified by the AP as Charlotte Bell, was attending the White House’s annual “Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day” when the First Lady called on her during a question-and-answer session in the East Room. Instead of asking FLOTUS her favorite food or color like the other children in the audience, Bell seized the opportunity to get down to business.
“My dad’s been out of a job for three years and I wanted to give you his resume,” she said. The First Lady was taken aback, but took the resume and gave Bell a hug. Obama explained to the other children that the matter was “a little private, but she’s doing something for her dad” and made sure to take the resume when she left.
Bell’s mother, an executive branch employee who did not want to be identified, told reporters the family had joked over the weekend about making a job pitch, but noted they didn’t know she’d actually try it. Charlotte’s father has reportedly been looking for a policy job for more than two years and in recent months has been pursuing a job within the Obama administration. He worked on the Obama campaign in 2012.
The White House declined to comment and there’s no word whether the tactic worked, but watch the adorable moment below. As of March, the U.S. unemployment rate remains at 6.7 percent.
15 Of The Most Powerful Women To Follow On Twitter
1. 15 Powerful Women To Follow On TwitterSource: 1 of 16
2. Erykah BaduSource: 2 of 16
3. Gayle KingSource: 3 of 16
4. OprahSource: 4 of 16
5. Michelle ObamaSource: 5 of 16
6. Christiane AmanpourSource: 6 of 16
7. Soledad O'BrienSource: 7 of 16
8. Chelsea ClintonSource: 8 of 16
9. Caterina FakeSource: 9 of 16
10. Zainab SalbiSource: 10 of 16
11. Robin RobertsSource: 11 of 16
12. Mary GroveSource: 12 of 16
13. Maya AngelouSource: 13 of 16
14. Gabby DouglasSource: 14 of 16
15. Donna BrazileSource: 15 of 16
16. Shonda RhimesSource: 16 of 16
10-Year-Old Girl Slips Michelle Obama Her Unemployed Father’s Resume was originally published on hellobeautiful.com