Clark Waddoups, a judge in the U.S. District Court of Utah, overturned a section of the state law that prohibits bigamy in a 91-page opinion released Dec. 13, according to Baptist Press.
The judge, appointed by President George W. Bush, legalized polygamy as practiced in Utah primarily by Mormon sects. The sects usually do not have multiple marriage licenses but treat the relationships as marriages. Waddoups said the cohabitation portion of Utah’s anti-polygamy law violated the free religious exercise clause of the U.S. Constitution’s 1st Amendment and the due process clause of the 14th Amendment.
The ruling followed a lawsuit by Kody Brown and his four wives, who appear in the TV reality show “Sister Wives” on TLC. Brown and only one of his wives have a marriage license. They are members of the Apostolic United Brethren, which believes polygamy is “a core religious practice,” according to the judge’s opinion.
Defenders of traditional marriage said this ruling will further erode the institution and provides more evidence the redefinition of marriage will go beyond same-sex relationships.
Utah officials haven’t said if the state will appeal Waddoups’ ruling, but Gov. Gary Herbert said Dec. 14 he wants to review the opinion before a decision is made. The scope of Waddoups’ opinion is limited to Utah, according to Baptist Press.
Waddoups’ ruling disagreed with a 1973 state law that says a “person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife or knowing the other person has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.”
Waddoups upheld “purports to marry another person” in the ’73 law, but struck down the portion dealing with cohabitation.
Take a look back at what we said in 2011: Will Polygamy Be Legalized Next ?
Reality Couples Who Are Actually Married
1. Terry Crews and Rebecca Crews1 of 20
2. Bishop Ron Gibson and LaVette Delene Beamon2 of 20
3. Ben and Jewel Tankard3 of 20
4. Wayne Chaney and Myesha Chaney4 of 20
5. Tia Mowry Hardict and Cory Hardict5 of 20
6. Tamera Mowry Housley and Adam Housley6 of 20
7. Tamar Braxton & Vince7 of 20
8. Sanya Richards-Ross And Aaron Ross8 of 20
9. Bill Rancic and Giuliana Rancic9 of 20
10. Reverend Run and Justine Simmons10 of 20
11. Kim Zolciak and Kroy Bierman11 of 20
12. Phaedra Parks and Apollo Parks12 of 20
13. NeNe Leakes and Gregg Leakes13 of 20
14. Sheree Fletcher And Terrell Fletcher14 of 20
15. Jackie Christie and Doug Christie15 of 20
16. Dean McDermott and Tori Spelling16 of 20
17. Tina Campbell and Teddy Campbell17 of 20
18. Deitrick Haddon and Dominique Haddon18 of 20
19. Erica Campbell and Warryn Campbell19 of 20
20. Hank Baskett and Kendra Wilkinson Baskett20 of 20
Like Elev8 On Facebook To Enrich Your Mind, Body & Soul!