Married Americans spend more than those in any other marital status category, across age groups. Americans who have never married spend significantly less, particularly for those younger than 50, suggesting that if the marriage rate increases, overall spending in the U.S. may increase and benefit the U.S. economy.
Married Americans report a daily spending average of $102, followed by $98 among those who are living in domestic partnerships, $74 by divorced Americans, $67 by those who are single and never married, and $62 by those who are widowed. As shown in the accompanying graph, across all age groups, those who are married spend more than those of other marital statuses.
Gallup asks Americans to report how much money they spent the prior day, excluding payments for normal household bills and major purchases such as homes or cars. The figure gives an estimate of discretionary spending. The current analysis is based on January through September 2013 Gallup Daily tracking interviews with more than 130,000 U.S. adults.
Married Americans spend more than the average American in part because they have higher-than-average incomes. Single Americans spend less, at least in part because they have lower-than-average incomes. Those in domestic partnerships spend almost as much as those who are married, but have lower average incomes, similar to single Americans’ incomes, suggesting that domestic partners in some sense overspend what would be predicted from their incomes alone.
Take a look :
Reality Couples Who Are Actually Married
1. Terry Crews and Rebecca Crews1 of 20
2. Bishop Ron Gibson and LaVette Delene Beamon2 of 20
3. Ben and Jewel Tankard3 of 20
4. Wayne Chaney and Myesha Chaney4 of 20
5. Tia Mowry Hardict and Cory Hardict5 of 20
6. Tamera Mowry Housley and Adam Housley6 of 20
7. Tamar Braxton & Vince7 of 20
8. Sanya Richards-Ross And Aaron Ross8 of 20
9. Bill Rancic and Giuliana Rancic9 of 20
10. Reverend Run and Justine Simmons10 of 20
11. Kim Zolciak and Kroy Bierman11 of 20
12. Phaedra Parks and Apollo Parks12 of 20
13. NeNe Leakes and Gregg Leakes13 of 20
14. Sheree Fletcher And Terrell Fletcher14 of 20
15. Jackie Christie and Doug Christie15 of 20
16. Dean McDermott and Tori Spelling16 of 20
17. Tina Campbell and Teddy Campbell17 of 20
18. Deitrick Haddon and Dominique Haddon18 of 20
19. Erica Campbell and Warryn Campbell19 of 20
20. Hank Baskett and Kendra Wilkinson Baskett20 of 20
Note: The current analysis is based on January through September 2013 Gallup Daily tracking interviews with more than 130,000 U.S. adults.