Spaying or neutering is a surgical procedure given to a pet to render it sterile.
You’ll gain medical and behavioral benefits by having your male dog neutered. You’ll also help control the pet overpopulation crisis, which results in millions of healthy dogs and cats being euthanized (humanely put to death) each year in the United States simply because there aren’t enough homes to go around. While the traditional age for neutering is six to nine months, puppies as young as eight weeks old can be neutered as long as they’re healthy.
In many states it is required by law. For example, every animal leaving a NYC shelter be spayed or neutered, it is also beneficial to the health and behavior of each animal. Below are some of the benefits to altering your pet. eliminates the occurrence of testicular cancer.
- Neutering markedly reduces the incidence of benign hyperplasia of the prostate gland, prostatitis and perineal hernias in dogs.
- Male dogs display hormonally influenced aggression toward each other, as do male cats. Neutering eliminates much of this behavior without affecting a male dog’s protective instincts towards his house and family members.
- Neutering will often decrease or eliminate other objectionable male dog behaviors, such as mounting furniture and family members.
- Male dogs and cats will cease roaming to find a mate because the hormonal urge to do so has been removed.
- Neutered animals are not sexually frustrated! Intact animals become sexually frustrated when responsible pet owners do not permit them to mate and satisfy those hormonally driven urges. Without testosterone, these urges are not present and the animals are more likely to focus their attention on their human family rather than on reproduction.
According to Caesar Milan:
Dogs neutered under 6 months develop less obesity and don’t establish some of the “male” behaviors that neutering is meant to treat. They are also less likely to jump a fence, fight, or get hit by a car.
If you would like ore about caring or adopting a pet visit http://www.aspca.org/
Make sure to read:
Like Elev8 On Facebook To Enrich Your Mind, Body & Soul!