- Overall the majority of women who get abortions are white (53 percent) compared with 35% done on African-Americans
- Second 8% on women of other ethnic backgrounds and the race of the woman was unknown in four percent of the cases.
However, the abortion rate for black women (472 per 1,000 live births) was 2.9 times higher than the ratio for white women (161 per 1,000). Examined another way, nearly half of all pregnancies among black women end in abortion while just 16 % of pregnancies among white women end in abortion.
- Black women are more than 4.8 times more likely than non-Hispanic white women to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are 2.7 times as likely (AGI).
- Only 12% of women included a physical problem with their health among reasons for having an abortion. (AGI)
- One per cent (of aborting women) reported that they were the survivors of rape (AGI)
- 9 in 10 women at risk of unintended pregnancy are using a contraceptive method (AGI).
Abortion is just one of three potential responses to unplanned pregnancy. The other two, adoption and parenthood, are perfectly viable solutions. If abortion were not an option, if women had to carry their children to full term and fathers couldn’t bail themselves out of child support by paying for an abortion and couples would simply have to be more vigilant about not getting pregnant. The number of unplanned pregnancies would almost certainly go down.
In my opinion, as it stands now, abortion is a safety net–an opportunity to be far more sexually careless than people would otherwise be. No matter how careful people claim to be, abortion lurks in their back pocket as a sort of get out of jail free card. As long as it’s there, it’s a whole lot easier to be irresponsible. While we are in the street fighting for every kind of freedom under the sun, let’s not forget that with freedom comes responsibility.
Now that you know the facts, what do you think?