The inescapable fact in life is that, one-day, we will become an elder.
However, the importance of respecting elders should not just be for that reason. We should give respect to elders for a number of reasons. Not least of these is that at least two of our elders brought us into this world, and they nurtured, cared and educated us until we were able to fly the nest and care for ourselves.
Most elders have invested a lot of time and effort into making our lives better, providing us with opportunities and been there to share in our joys and sorrows.
In addition to this, people who have been around this world a lot longer than us have a lot to offer. They have acquired knowledge and wisdom, which if respected they are willing to share with us. They have also had experiences and therefore can help to guide us through problems that may arise in out life.
Finally, we should treat our elders, and all other people we come into contact with, with the respect that we would want them to extend to us.
Answer the questions below and see whether you are also guilty of showing disrespect to elders. There is no score or marking system; you alone are your own judge.Do you enter a room and remember to greet every single person in the room, including elders?
1. When you visit a friend’s home, do you say remember to take your leave from the elders of that house?
2. When your friends come visiting, do you introduce them to your elders?
[Even if it a simple nod or a ‘Hi’ and ‘Bye’, do not ignore elders.]
3. Do you raise your voice when you argue or do you stay calm?
4. Do you try to assume control of all activities at home – not telling your mother where you plan to go out, not letting your father listen to his favorite radio station, not seeking permission before changing the channels on TV?
5. Do you always stay absent on important days in the family?
Please share your thoughts and comments below about the answers to these questions.