Glorious, shiny hair is not a matter of luck —it is a matter of good hair care. During the summer, the sun’s heat rays can be very damaging, causing hair to become dry, brittle and frizzy. A few simple summer hair care tips will help you keep hair strong and healthy. When it is time to turn on the air conditioning, it is also time to step up the hair conditioning. Regular conditioning treatments are important to keep hair moisturized, shinny and flexible. Don’t take shortcuts when it comes to summer’s hair care regime.Consider These Survival Tips:
• If you normally use hot hair tools (blow dryers, hot irons, electric curlers) every day, try and give your hair a break during the summer months. Consider letting your air dry. Take a break from hot curling.
Hair braided with medium to lose tension when wet will air dry into beautiful waves.
• When the summer heat is hottest manage frizzies by wearing your hair up in a knot, bun, braids or twists that are not too tight.
• Be careful using shine products to control frizz. These products often contain silicone and can coat your hair and make it look dull after just a few times. This will only make the problems worse in the long run.
• Be religious about your trims. Since summer heat can be brutal, make sure you have the ends trimmed every 6-8 weeks during the summer months. When your ends are frizzy, it’s a sure sign that they are either damaged, split or both.
• Hair needs to be treated more gently during the summer. Consider switching to a moisturizing and overall gentle shampoo. Always follow up with a deep moisturizing conditioner.
• For summer months consider switching to hair care products that are as all-natural as possible. Keep in mind it is best to avoid any hair care or styling products contains alcohol such as holding sprays; or formaldehyde which may be found in some gels since they can be excessively drying to the hair.
• Shampoo your hair weekly during summer months to allow your tresses to absorb maximum moisture. When possible, finish with a cool to cold rinse to seal the hair cuticle, this will give your hair natural shimmer and shine.