Fact 1: Unlike other awards, such as the Grammy Award, which determine nominations as a result of the highest votes received, the Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on United States year-end chart performance according to Nielsen data for sales, number of downloads and total airplay.
Fact 2: Awards are given for the top album/artist/single in different genres.
Fact 3: In 1992, the awards also gave out a Billboard Century Award—the magazine’s highest honor for creative achievement and named for Billboard’s centennial in 1994. The award was renamed the Icon Award in 2011. Janet Jackson has won the most awards with 33 wins.
Fact 4: There are 3 Christian categories:
- Top Christian Album
- Top Christian Artist
- Top Christian Song
Fact 5: Billboard Millennium Award has only been awarded to two people Beyonce Knowles in 2011 and Whitney Houston in 2012
Fact 6: Billboard Awards did not always air. It had been held annually since 1989 in December until it went silent in 2007. The awards returned in 2011 and has been held annually in May ever since.
Fact 7: The Billboard Award itself has had 2 designs
Fact 8: The very first Billboard Award aired in 1989 and presented awards siblings to Michael Jackson for ‘Bad’ Album of The Year and Janet Jackson Video Of The Year for ‘Miss You Much’
Make sure to read:
- Deitrick Haddon Shares Emotional Weekend
- Stars Apologize: Rihanna Donates $25,000 To LAPD To Say ‘SORRY!’
- BET Best Gospel Artist Nominees Announced
- Jill Scott To Receive Honorary Doctorate Degree
- Viewers Want To Know: Where Is Princess Tiana? [Petition]
- Inspiring: Tyler Perry Prays God Will Help Him Be the Best Father He Can Be
- LeToya Luckett Lands A New Gig On VH1
Like Elev8 On Facebook To Enrich Your Mind, Body & Soul!