Have you ever considered the number of souls that have been lost because Christians forget where they have come from and what they have been through? How many times have you lost a ministry opportunity because you decided to quote a bible scripture rather than use your experiences and testimonies to empathize with someone that has come to you for guidance or to just have a conversation?
There are a lot of people in the world that are actually saved and living a life for Christ to the best of their ability. The way they go about it may not meet the standards of those on the outside looking in because they do not understand how others relationship with Christ can be different than theirs.
Christianity is about relationship. It is about your heart. It is about loving people to Christ the way his word says to do. It is about the way we as individuals choose to live our lives for Christ. Contrary to some beliefs, we will not all see the Christian walk or Live the Christian walk the same way simply because we have the same instruction manual (Bible). The word of God says to study to show thyself approved unto God.
I do not see anywhere in that verse where it can get screwed up and we can interpret that to say study to show them if they approved unto God. Life on a daily basis is difficult without having to pay attention to those that throw stones in glass houses. We spend so much time judging people for the lives and lifestyles they live that we forget they are also God’s children saved or not. I understand the fire that we have for Christ, but I also believe we should remember 1st Corinthians 9:22.
Try Having A Conversation Instead Of A Bible Study. Next time you are presented with an opportunity to be available to someone try a few simple things.
- Listen to what they have to say.
- Do not start planning your attack of bible verses the moment they start talking. What their needs are can be missed because you are all about your agenda rather than their needs. You may not be the person they need to talk to and you missed your opportunity to lead them in the right direction.
- If you are the person they need to talk to, open yourself up and make yourself vulnerable. Sometimes people just need to know they are not alone on their emotional islands as they try to figure out this thing called LIFE.
- Consider this also, some people just need you to sit there and LISTEN. A lot of people respond to having an ear to hear them. That is what real self help is all about, talking it out with yourself. One of the best phrases you can add to your counsel is, “if you need me let me know” or “if you need someone to talk to or to just listen, let me know.”
- One of the most important considerations should be to know who you are talking to before you speak. This goes back to listening. Not everyone you come into contact with is in the mood or would understand being bombarded with a lot of bible verses.
- Use wisdom. James 3: 13-18 is a very good starting guide to use when ministry opportunities are presented to you. Verse 13 says ” Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom. ” This means those that are wise and understand the ways of God should prove it by living honorably in life, conversation and good works. The key to is to do it with Humility that comes from Wisdom.
I don’t have all the answers which is why prayer is a big part of my life. Always remember that you have not always been saved. You went through what you have been through to help others, not to keep it to yourself. I am not telling you that this is the only way to cut down on missed ministry opportunities, I Am Just Trying To Help.
Written by Napoleon for Elev8.com
Other Related Articles